The Autumn Glory Festival takes place Wednesday, October 12 through Sunday, October 16, 2022. Celebrating the Deep Creek Lake area’s vibrant fall colors, it has been a popular event for decades.
Garrett County is well-known for its fall foliage. You will often find Oakland, Maryland on top ten lists for leaf peeping. Autumn Glory was even named the world’s top fall festival by MSN.
Autumn Glory 2022 Events
Lots of fun events take place throughout all five days of the festival and they can be found county-wide. There are two parades, lots of craft shows, and specials at local businesses.
- On Wednesday, October 12, the Kick-Off Dinner and Reception presents the Autumn Glory King & Queen and Golden Ambassador.
- October 12th-16th the town of Oakland is having a carnival on Liberty Street with games, rides, and food.
- The Fireman’s Parade is Thursday, October 13 at 7PM. Beforehand, the Oakland Volunteer Fire Department will host a family friendly event with music and food trucks.
- Catch the Maryland State Banjo, Fiddle, and Mandolin Championship October 14 and 15 at Southern Garrett High School.
- Saturday, at 1PM, the Grand Feature Parade takes place on Second and Third Streets in Oakland.
- Glorious Harvest Farmers Market & Craft Show is happening Saturday at the Mountain Fresh Pavilion.
- Antiques, Vintage, and Makers Market is at the Oakland Community Center Saturday from 9AM-6PM.
- Autumn Glory Craft & Gift Show is Saturday and Sunday at the Garrett County Fairgrounds in McHenry from 10AM-4PM.
- Car Show in downtown Oakland Sunday, October 16.
Turkey dinners are a popular Autumn Glory tradition. More than ten years before the Autumn Glory Festival became the annual event we know now, a group of turkey growers organized and promoted turkey dinners. Today, many area restaurants, churches, and organizations offer them. Check the Turkey Trail map to see where you can get yours. They do sell out quickly!
One of the best ways to see the colorful leaves is the Fall Foliage Driving Tour. The Garrett County Chamber of Commerce put together to routes that show off the stunning scenery.
Experience Autumn Glory for Yourself
Whether you want to hit all the events or simply take a scenic fall drive, be sure to take time to explore Garrett County this fall. It is truly a magical time to experience Mountain Maryland.