Deep Creek Lake, Maryland A Four-Season Destination
Without a doubt, our area is truly special and offers a desirable lifestyle. It is no surprise that Deep Creek Lake real estate is in demand for those seeking “lake life”. Visitors who fall in love with Deep Creek can match their best loved activities with the property they purchase, creating the ultimate getaway.
Deep Creek Lake Facts
Centrally located in Garrett County Maryland, Deep Creek Lake is a man-made lake that was completed in 1925. It was built to produce electricity using the powerful waters of the Youghiogheny River.
- The lake has 65 miles of shoreline and covers 3,900 acres.
- It is Maryland’s largest freshwater lake.
- The average depth is about 26 feet.
- The deepest point is 72 feet.
- The lake itself is 2,455 above sea level
- There are more than 6,500 homes in the Deep Creek Lake tax district. Of those, 1000+ are Transient Vacation Rental Units (TVRU).
- Deep Creek Lake is only a few hours from many metropolitan areas. Distances to Deep Creek lake from:
- Baltimore-177 miles
- Washington, DC-161 miles
- Pittsburgh-96 miles
- Cleveland-255 miles
- Philadelphia-282 miles
- Richmond-224 miles
- New York-355 miles
Currently, the lake and the buffer strip around it is owned by the state of Maryland. Water levels are controlled by a hydroelectric dam. The water level is lowered during the area’s off-season to provide more water for popular white water rafting locations.
Deep Creek Lake Weather
Due to elevation, the Deep Creek Lake area is typically 10 degrees cooler than the Baltimore/Washington area. Summer temperatures average around 75 degrees. In the winter, the average is about 30 degrees. Average snowfall totals about 116 inches.
Get to Know the Area
Deep Creek Lake is surrounded by many points of interest. Wisp Resort is in the northern lake area. It is home to Maryland’s only ski resort. In addition to skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing, Wisp Resort offers ziplines, disc golf, scenic chairlift rides, and a mountain coaster. On top of the mountain, the Adventure Sports Center International boasts a manmade, recirculating river that is used for guided white water rafting and kayaking experiences.
Wisp Resort also boasts two championship golf courses. Fantasy Valley is at the base of the mountain, and Lodestone Golf Course is on top offering sweeping lake and mountain views.
Throughout the northern and central lake areas, you will find much of the commercial activity. Marinas, restaurants, family activities, grocery stores, shops, and healthcare facilities are in this region.
Life takes on a slower pace as you head to the lake’s southern end. Known for its quiet nature, communities and homes in this area are a little more “off-the-beaten-path.” Thousand Acres Golf Club is in the southern lake area. This stunning 9-hole course will soon boast 18-holes.
Things to Do at Deep Creek Lake
Recreational opportunities are virtually endless. With thousands of acres of public lands, numerous lakes and rivers, and robust trail systems, it is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. Add picturesque scenery, and you have the perfect combination for memorable adventures.
Favorite outdoor activities include: hiking, mountain biking, ORV riding, canoeing, kayaking, hunting, camping, swimming, fishing, fly fishing,ice fishing, rock climbing, white water rafting, paddle boarding, boating, sailing, water skiing, wakeboarding, wake surfing, cross country skiing, sledding, snow tubing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, leaf peeping, golf, disc golf, zip lines, and miniature golf.
For indoor fun, the area offers a movie theater, bowling, arcades, laser tag, ax throwing, museums, shopping, galleries, and nature centers.
Numerous small towns surround Deep Creek Lake. Each one offers something unique to enjoy. You can taste artisanal cheeses, sample locally made ciders, shop for classic vinyl, browse antiques, or attend a riverside summer concert under the stars.
Where to Eat at Deep Creek
There are numerous restaurants in the lake area and many more throughout the rest of Garrett County. Many Deep Creek restaurants are waterfront. A few local favorites include: Dutch’s at Silver Tree, Brenda’s Pizzeria, Pine Lodge Steakhouse, Deep Creek Seafood, Mountain State Brewing Co., Ace’s Run Restaurant & Pub, Firewater Kitchen & Bar, and MoonShadow.
Art and Culture at the Lake
The lake area has a little bit of everything when it comes to the arts.
- Deep Creek Pottery – Owned and operated by local artists, you can buy pottery or try making it yourself.
- The new Performing Arts Center at Garrett College is a state-of-the-art space that will bring more performers to the area than ever before.
- Garrett Lakes Arts Festival (GLAF) is the largest presenter of performing arts and arts education in Garrett County. Throughout the year, they bring music and dance to Deep Creek Lake. Check their schedule to find out what’s happening.
- Art focused events include July’s Art in the Park at Deep Creek Lake State Park and the Deep Creek Lake Art & Wine Festival in September.
- Throughout the year, lake area venues host live music from local and regional performers. MoonShadow, Black Bear Tavern, and The Honi-Honi are places where you can grab a bite and listen to some performers.
Deep Creek is Dog Friendly
Deep Creek Lake is a dog friendly place to live and play. There are lots of activities you can enjoy with your four-legged friend.
- Hiking – Garrett County is home to eight state parks, and they all allow leashed dogs on hiking trails. The stunning scenery includes raging rivers, majestic waterfalls, and tranquil lakes.
- Dining outdoors – Dogs are welcome at many area restaurants including Mountain State Brewing Co., Trader’s Coffee House, Canoe on the Run, Black Bear Tavern, Archie’s Barbecue, The Honi-Honi, Lakeside Creamery, and Dutch’s at Silver Tree.
- Dog parks – There are two dog parks in Garrett County.
- Deep Creek Lake Lions Club Dog Park: Located at 1249 Bumble Bee Road near McHenry, this 40,000 square foot off-leash park has a double-door entry system, waste disposal, and separate fenced areas for small and large dogs.
- Oakland Dog Park: Located at 27 Oakland Rosedale Road, in the town of Oakland, this is a fenced in, off-leash park.
- Swimming – At Deep Creek Lake State Park, dogs can swim from the shoreline anywhere except for the sandy beach or docks.
Local veterinary clinics – Bredel Veterinary Clinic, (301) 387-7729 or Pineview Veterinary Hospital, (301) 334-8393
Buy or Sell your Home at Deep Creek Lake:
- Sky Valley
- Thousand Acres
- Deep Creek Lake
- Deep Creek Highlands
- Four Hooppole
- Lake Pointe
- Garrett County
- Gallatin Woods
- Glendale Shores
- Monte Vista
- Mountain Lake Park
- Turkey Neck
- Villages of the Wisp
- Watefront Greens
- Biltmore at Lodestone
- The Blakeslee
- Allegany County
- West Virginia